Paul graduated from The Webb School in Bell Buckle, Tennessee. He earned a degree in Public Policy Studies from Vanderbilt and a law degree from the University of Miami. He is admitted to practice law in Tennessee, Florida and Texas. Paul works in government relations for a property and casualty insurance trade association.
In addition to having successfully tried a number of jury and non-jury cases to verdict, he has also worked as in house counsel for a Fortune 50 insurance company. During his professional career, he has helped developed incident response and business continuity planning and training programs for law firms and insurers.
In September 2015, Paul published Pivot Points: Creating A Culture Of Preparedness And Resiliency In America. Paul examines the current state of the preparedness movement and suggests various strategies to inculcate a preparedness mindset into American culture.
His first book, Bracing for Impact: A Practical Guide for Preparing for Disaster came out in 2011. Bracing for Impact provides law firms and small businesses with practical guidance on developing disaster plans to improve workplace safety and business continuity after a disaster.
Paul lives in Austin and currently serves on The Webb School Board of Trustees and is a former commissioner of the Austin Animal Advisory Commission. His wife, Kendel, is a certified public accountant and the vice president of accounting for an Austin-based biotech company. His stepdaughter, Delaney, is a student at the University of Mississippi and serves as chief critic of Paul’s wardrobe decisions.
Preparedness Certification and Experience
- Certified Emergency Medical Technician-B by the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians and the Texas Department of State Health Services.
- Certified Range Safety Officer and Firearms Instructor by the National Rifle Association
- Certified License to Carry Instructor by the Texas Department of Public Safety, including certification to teach the School Safety Officer designation.
- Former volunteer firefighter
- Licensed amateur radio operator – General Class
- Licensed private pilot with instrument rating
- Certified Storm Spotter for the National Weather Service
- Guest speaker on preparedness topics at various seminars and conferences
- Author of several magazine articles on preparedness issues